The goal of Mineral Springs Brewery is to bring fresh, locally brewed beer in a relaxed, family friendly environment to the people of Owatonna and Southern Minnesota.
Currently Available Beer
Cinder Hill Cream Ale
Cinder Hill is a steep 60 foot hill on Linn Avenue overlooking downtown Owatonna, and is used by local athletes for training. MSB’s Cinder Hill Cream Ale is a very drinkable, refreshing beer that would hit the spot after a few runs up and down Cinder Hill.
Thunderbolt IPA (Hoppy)
Herb Joesting became known as the “Owatonna Thunderbolt” when he was an All-American fullback at the University of Minnesota. This American IPA will give you the hops and energy to thunder down the road of life.
The Kaplan family has been synonymous with success in Owatonna for over 150 years. The crisp, clean old world flavor of Kölsch will take you back in time to revel in those successes. This is a refreshing German beer that draws you in to that second Kölsch.
Louis Henry Sullivan was a famous American architect that brought the prairie style design of the National Farmers Bank building in Owatonna. Sullivan Stout is a rich, flavorful beer, brewed with roasted barely, providing that coffee flavor. This famously Irish beer is the perfect match for recognizing Sullivan’s Irish heritage and significant local impact.
Emmett & Phyllis Amber
Back in the late-1950s, Emmett and Phyllis Jacobson built the structure now housing our brewery. To honor them, we’ve brewed a deep, copper–colored beer with a full–bodied, more pronounced malty caramel flavor. Cheers to Emmett & Phyllis!
Cornell Scotch Ale
Very near MSB’s current location was the cabin of A.B. Cornell, the first resident of Owatonna. In recognition of this historic marker we’ve brewed this traditional Scotch Ale, also known in this part of the region as the ‘Sleepover Ale’ (origins unclear/fuzzy).
Straight River IPA
The healing water of Owatonna’s Mineral Springs makes its way to the Straight River, rolling directly west of MSB’s brewery and taproom. That ‘lazy river’ imagery perfectly aligns with this hazy, citrusy,thirst-quenching IPA.
Hope Chocolate Milk Stout
Steele County’s own Hope, MN, is home to Hope Creamery, makers of the best butter money can buy. We think you’ll love our fine dairy flavors when you toss back one of our Hope Chocolate Milk Stouts. Brewing with deep roast malts and lactose, provides this ale with its sweet, complex flavor.
As brewing continues in the weeks ahead, you can expect to see the following:
Litomysl Lager, Dartts Dark, 507 Brown Ale …
111 Walnut Ave S, Owatonna, MN 55060
We have more than 100 public parking spaces available within two blocks of MSB. The map below provides a quick visual of those options. In addition, we have two bike racks just outside of our building, with parking for more than 20 bikes. We look forward to seeing you at MSB!
- Do you have beverage options other than beer?
- We’re happy to sell Minnesota-made sodas from Northern Soda. We also offer free water. Minnesota taproom brewery licensing doesn’t allow us to sell alcoholic products from other vendors. We sell what we brew, when it comes to alcohol. We’re hoping to have some flavored seltzers on tap very soon, but we first need to nail down our brews.
- Can I bring my dog into the brewery?
- Yes, though we ask that you are mindful of our other guests. We allow all well-behaved dogs on a leash in the taproom. Unfriendly and/or misbehaving dogs will be asked to leave.
- Can I book MSB for a private event?
- Yes. We’re happy to work with you to line up private events outside of our regular hours of operation. Some scheduling limitations exist due to the necessity to maintain our production area during brewing days. We’re flexible re: the terms of these private party arrangements, but we do have minimum sales level expectations for these events. To schedule, please contact Bill Cronin @ 507.213.9295 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your hours are currently limited. Will you expand the operational hours in the future?
- We’re intentionally operating with a lean set of operational hours in the initial month or two of our operation, to ensure all runs smoothly (and that we don’t run out of beer!). It’s important for us to store up some inventory prior to expanding our hours.
- Can I get some MSB brews to go?
- Yes. We sell pre-filled growlers, and as well will fill sanitary growler containers from others. We do ask for your patience with those ‘fills’ for growlers you bring in, as taproom operations can get bottle-necked from time-to-time when filling growlers. Your patience is appreciated!
- I’d love to work at MSB. How can I apply?
- Note that we are initially operating mostly with owners and family, as we gain a better understanding of the market’s interest in hours of operation. Shortly after opening, we’ll most certainly be hiring staff to help plant the MSB customer service culture. If you have interest in applying, please contact Bill Cronin @ 507.213.9295 or email@example.com .
- Why is the brewery called Mineral Springs Brewery?
- Mineral Springs Brewery was first named as such by Tim Pelton, Matt Kottke, and Jon Hilstad with their garage brewing hobby more than 10 years ago. The name is a nod to the ‘healing waters’ from Mineral Springs, that nourished Princess Owatonna back to health year ago.
- Can I bring in my own food or have food delivered?
- Yes. We welcome customers bring or order appropriate options to have at MSB. Food, yes; alcohol, no (by law). There are a wide variety of local establishments with great catering and delivery in the Owatonna area.
- Is your taproom kid/family friendly?
- Yes. We have a family friendly environment with fun games for everyone to play and a great selection of local craft sodas and snacks.
- How long have you been brewing?
- Our brewmasters, Tim Pelton and Mark Sebring, have been brewing for more than 20 years, though each on a much smaller system than our current MSB configuration. Tim and Mark are enjoying their new setup!